Friday 30 December 2011

First Dance Friday: Johnny & June

I know, I know, it's essentially about a relationship which is on the skids. But the pop and crackle between the couple singing this song is the beating heart of any real relationship: I hate you, I love you, I can't live without you. "We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout"

And let's not forget the very real love story of the singers: June Carter and Johnny Cash. Now there's a romance that got pulled through hell and back, and still stood til the bitter end. The reed that bends with the wind stands the straightest. No, that's not in the song, it's some ancient Chinese thingy-bobby. Oh you know.



Sam and I LOVE THIS SONG. We were intending to learn it (properly, not like in the car when we can only remember half the verses) and play it together on guitar and banjo at our wedding. But in the rush of the last few weeks, we never got around to it. A real pity, as I think we agreed about this song more than any of the others that we used during the day. And plus, it would have been awesome.

Anyway, here it is, the end of 2011! Happy New Year to you all. A year ago today I wasn't even engaged, and here I am happily married to my own big galoot.

Who knows what 2012 will have in store?


3 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE that song! It's alway been one of my "contenders" for my first dance song, and it fits oddly well with our relationship motto of expressing affection via insults and feigned mutual disregard. Unfortunately our first dance was an easy choice, so I never got to suggest this. In a way I'm glad, as I have no idea how the frack I would dance to it. Badly, I imagine. For some reason I'm picturing the chicken dance?

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this song, one of my faves. Rumbleseat do a good version too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want to chicken dance! And listen to Rumbleseat.

    Px

    ReplyDelete