Thursday 2 February 2012

The Reading Corner


Just to say: I am reading this and I think it might be the best book I have ever read. I have cried endlessly and I'm still 150 pages from the end, so there is still time to cry some more. It's bloody brilliant.

The only rubbish thing about reading a book that I'm really enjoying, is that I start over-analysing my own pleasure. I agonise over how long I'm taking to read it. Am I going to fast, should I slow down and savour it? But if I leave it for too long, what if I break the flow, and it's not as good when I come back? I worry about how much I'll miss the characters when they're not there anymore. I torment myself about the fact that this is the only time I'll ever read this book for the first time. Utterly ridiculous and a bit sad, really. I should go out more and speak to real human beings, start worrying about something that actually matters.

Anyway, if you haven't read this book, and you like books, then you should read it. It won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction and everything. I think Michael Chabon has possibly my favourite ever prose style - it's bursting with imagery, without ever really being heavy or wordy. It's quite astounding, I have no idea how he does it. He's quite the magician.

In other news, I am feeling better (woo!) but my job interview-thing yesterday wasn't quite as bountiful as I'd hoped (boo). Head down, and keep on. Surely my persistence has to pay off eventually.

4 comments:

  1. can I borrow it when you're done please??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that Penny - when I'm enjoying a book I try to force myself to read slowly, but it's impossible, so sometimes I'll like, put it aside for a week and then need to re-read what I've read so I can get back into it... It causes me so much stress!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie you know we never agree on books! But yes you may, I should be finished by Saturday teatime :)
    Gemma I am glad I'm not the only one!

    Px

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh best book EVER? This is totally on my list now! Thanks for the rec!!

    ReplyDelete